Creative Year in Review ~ 2013
December 31, 2013
Theme: Be Visible
Reading & Writing
- I read 306 books all the way through.
- I read (at least) 39 books part of the way. (I didn’t track all of them.)
- Started using Inter-Library Loan at public library!
- I withdrew from writing the book I started in 2012.
- I applied to 2 writing gigs (1 paid, 1 unpaid). I received an offer on the unpaid 1, but decided not to take it.
- A prose piece I submitted online in 2012 was published online in 2012, but I didn’t discover that until 2013.
- I took 2 writing classes, 1 on poetry.
- I attended my first writer’s retreat.
- I wrote 80,977 words in 84 blog posts (including this one).
- I finished 28 poems. [80% of all the poems I’ve ever written.]
- I submitted 13 poems for publication, including 4 contests.
- Began following people on Twitter that primarily write in Spanish and/or Catalan. I translate their words into English for myself, with the help of a bilingual dictionary.
- When I read poems in (Spanish & English) bilingual editions, I do my own translating alongside the official version (just for fun).
- Have read poetry translated into English from the original languages of ~ Elizabeth English, Anglo-Saxon, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Irish Gaelic, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Polish, Spanish, Swedish.
- Explored several new first names to go by socially. Picked Mea.
- Created another name — Meander W — to go by amongst other writers and poets.
- Outed myself as “gender-fluid”, offline, and on Twitter.
- I attended 2 seminars on issues relating to water quality in Chesapeake Bay.
- Experimented with “professional” blogs for environmental issues. Ultimately went with a 2nd WordPress blog ~ meanderw.wordpress.com
- New Mexico ~ Socorro, Santa Fe, Ghost Ranch (near Abiquiu), Albuquerque
- Philadelphia (2x)
- Finger Lakes of New York
- NYC (2x)
- April ~ Dinner in Baltimore City with Pam.
- December ~ Lunch & an afternoon in DC with Kendra & Jerome, Aunt Carol & Uncle John.
- I stopped using Flickr.
- I joined Meetup. Participated in a poetry group for 3 months.
- I quit LinkedIn. Months later, I rejoined with a visually-designed profile.
- Experimented with folding paper.
- Thought about how folding paper techniques could be incorporated into fabric garments.
- I took 7,286 photographs, with 2 devices: point-and-shoot camera (≈ 90%); and camera phone (≈ 10%).
- Keep rate for camera unknown; keep rate for phone camera ≈ 80%.
- To counteract my sedentary habits, tracked how much time I “stood up & walked around”. Daily goal on 1.1.2013 was 225 minutes (3.75 hrs/day). Daily goal on 12.31.2013 was 300 minutes (5 hrs/day).
- Total for 2013 = 1565.5 hours. Averaged 4.3 hrs/day (30.1 hrs/week) for the year.