The Artist’s Way – exercises 1
Week 1, Sense of Safety
- You’re too old…
- ‘Self-taught’ means gaps in your knowledge — you don’t know enough of the Really Important stuff.
- Your mind doesn’t work the same as the Real True Artists, so you’re WRONG.
- You’re too interdisciplinary because you’re lazy and undisciplined.
- You’ll never earn money at writing, or anything else you want to do.
- Nobody likes you.
- You think too much. You’re too sensitive.
- What can you do that’s useful? Are you even good at anything?
Blurts => Positive Affirmations:
- As long as I’m alive, I’m young enough to start something.
- I’ve learned what really matters to me. And I’ll keep following my nose and fingers!
- Any path to art is a good path.
- ‘Feeling my way’ without knowing anything is part of the discipline/practice I’m teaching myself.
- I believe I can earn money doing something enjoyable.
- I have been and am still loved. I will find new people that I will love; some of them will love me back.
- I’m unique and I like that.
- I’m learning what I can do that’s useful and interesting. I’m good at dealing with uncertainty and failure and surprises. I’m flexible and adaptable. I like change.
Imaginary Lives, week 1:
- circus performer
- poet (in Spanish)
- pastry chef
- plant doctor
Imaginary Lives, week 2:
- conceptual stylist for photo sessions
- interior designer
Week 2, Sense of Identity
10 Tiny Changes:
I would like to . . .
- hang up artwork in my studio
- finish going through my closet & figuring out what needs to go
- [silent retreat]
- do Feldenkrais (to learn how to really live in this body)
- finish trimming jade skirt, so I can wear it
- repair rust-brown linen shell, so I can wear it again
- make a yellow garment, and wear it
- get muscle car stamps and send mail to myself
- get to know Baltimore
20 Things I Enjoy Doing (& the last time I did them):
- photographing – today
- writing poetry – last month?
- painting with acrylics – 2011?
- doodling – ???
- cooking – 2012
- walking in the woods – yesterday
- eating pear lime jam – 2012
- having flowers in my studio – Jan 2013
- falling into a really absorbing book – yesterday
- wearing fun clothes that match my mood/wyxzi – 3 days ago
- going to the library – last week
- playing with paper – this past weekend
- good conversation with Spouse – today
- watching birds in and around Tenimah (maple tree) – today
- enough refreshing sleep – last night
- interesting dreams that I remember – this morning
- looking at cool cars – a week ago?
- juxtaposing odd things – 2 days ago
- discovering insights into my life – today
- feeling a wide range of moods & wyxzi – pretty regularly